[BNAWX] Public Information Statement

EMWIN Server emwin at nashvilleweather.net
Fri Oct 14 06:02:10 CDT 2016

NOUS44 KOHX 141101
PNSOHX
TNZ005>011-023>034-056>066-075-077>080-093>095-150515-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN
601 AM CDT Fri Oct 14 2016

...Fire Weather/Fire Prevention Awareness Week Concludes Today...

Fire Weather/Fire Prevention Awareness Week concludes today with
a look at our spring and fall fire weather seasons.

As mentioned previously, low relative humidities and high wind
speeds are two key ingredients which act to increase the degree of
fire danger. These two weather ingredients combined with drier
vegetation are most prevalent during the spring and fall fire
weather seasons.

The fall fire weather season generally runs from October 1st until
December 1st. Climatologically for Tennessee, the months that lead
into the fall season, September and October, are generally the
driest months of the year. During this time of year, temperatures
are cooling off. This serves to reduce the threat of heavier showers
and thunderstorms which are usually driven by warmer surface
temperatures. Also, the jet stream, where the better organized
weather systems reside, is located well north of Tennessee.

Typically, in the month of September, the vegetation begins to dry
out. By October, a combination of drier vegetation and the end of
the growing season could lead to an extended period of higher fire
danger.

Climatological records for Nashville indicate that the driest months
of the year generally occurred in September and October. In fact,
records indicate that an average of only 0.20 inches or less of rain
fell during these record breaking months.

The Spring fire weather season actually begins in late winter. It
generally begins on February 15th and lasts until May 1st. As we get
into late February and March, most of the vegetation is still
dormant and temperatures are beginning to warm. The warmer
temperatures serve to increase the surface evaporation rate thereby
keeping the vegetation rather dry. Furthermore, it is now close to
kite flying weather and soon the March winds will begin to blow.
With these ingredients in place, elevated levels of fire danger can
occur.

In conclusion, though we have discussed the seasonal impacts of
weather on fires, keep in mind that fires can occur at any time of
the year. We should always strive to stay educated. But most
importantly, be careful and play by the rules.

For additional fire weather information, please go to the following
website: www.weather.gov/ohx/fireweather

$$

27
This weather bulletin was brought to you by:
http://www.nashvilleweather.net

Follow us on Facebook at:
http://www.facebook.com/nashvilleweather